A ‘good to know’ list for anyone staying with us 🙂
- Vukov konak is an uninsulated wooden house, it can feel chilly indoors during winter months and cool in the summer (bring your home slippers and woollen jumpers!)
- We do not have internet, tv, or microwave. Mobile network coverage is weak. Hot water is not instant, it needs to be heated, and can take up to 2-3 hours
- We get cut off from power every now and then. Cut-offs usually last a few hours
- Our house is pet-friendly for all our guests, our cats visit indoors frequently
The kitchen & food
- We don’t have a written menu, we offer seasonal foods and have only a 1–2 of options for each meal (as per order also gluten-free, vegetarian etc.)
- All food is cooked from scratch, ask for food when the first feeling of hunger arises – this isn’t a fast food place 🙂
- The kitchen is used by our staff only
- The lifestyle and ways of doing things is best described as ‘organic’. With enough time and good flow we spend time with our guests, go hiking together etc.
Staying with us during the week (Mon-Fri) ensures you a more peaceful ambience and possibility of going hiking with our family and staff
- We don’t have official check-in or -out times. But we are glad to hear from our overnight guests at what time they’re planning to arrive!
- Your visit is likely to feel as if you’re visiting someone’s home or a community, and less like staying in a hotel. There’s very little privacy, sounds travel well and we often enjoy lunch all together
- Although the atmosphere is peaceful and quiet, the house may be full of action! We have two children of our own and the animals. Many guests come here with children, too
The village and weather
- There are very few services in our village. Just a simple shop and a few places for coffees and beers further away
- There’s no public transportation and not all taxis will drive up here. There are street lights in the village, but not all the way to Vukov konak. If you’re arriving first time, don’t rely on Google maps or an easy hitch-hiking experience 🙂
There are farm animals on the roads, roaming free, and every year we get the occasional bear and wolf in the vicinity of the house
- The weather is unpredictable on the mountain. At 1300 meters it is usually always cooler than in Sarajevo (500-600 meters) and changes quickly
These living conditions are a given here. We tend to look at them not as problems, but more as solutions within themselves. Contact us for any details and help with directions, weather conditions, or overnight arrangements!
We hope you come to appreciate the simple life our place has to offer!